start-up rates

Small Business Confidence, Profits and Hiring On the Rise

Hiscox study reveals 47% of UK small firms are optimistic for the future with post-recession start-ups‘ growth flourishing Hiscox’s DNA of an Entrepreneur study has revealed small businesses across the world have experienced a rise in confidence, profitability and hiring activity across 2013. Key findings are the increase in female entrepreneurs and start-ups launched. 38% of respondents set up after the recession of which 56% were established by women. Furthermore, post-recession start-ups appear to be performing better than older firms as they reported greater increases in growth (49% compared to 42%) and hiring rates (21% versus 15%), and are more likely to begin exporting in the future (28% versus 17%). Overall findings displayed a positive trend across all firms with 45% of small busi... »

2009 Start-up Rates Higher than 2008

High levels of unemployment and the need to earn a living caused more people to start a business last year than in 2008, Barclays has claimed. Commenting on new statistics on start-up rates produced by the British Bankers’ Association (BBA), Barclays’ head of SME research, Richard Roberts, said the total number of businesses started in 2009 will exceed the 525,000 set up in 2008. According to the BBA survey, which measures start-up rates based on new banking relationships, fewer businesses were set up in the first ten months of 2009 – 460,000 compared to 468,000 in the same period in 2008. However, Roberts said that the total figure for start-ups in 2009 is likely to be higher when the last two months of the year are included. “We know from our own figures that more... »