Employers told to pay up for Music

Listening to music at work may soon become a thing of the past… It is estimated that more than half a million businesses across the UK are playing music illegally. But many of them don’t even know it. By law, whenever music is played publicly (that’s considered to be anywhere outside the home) a license is needed. It doesn’t matter whether it’s played on a radio, cd or mp3, or who’s listening. In the case of businesses, whether staff or customers can hear it, you still need a license. The Performing Right Society (PRS) takes the money and pays it to the artist. That’s because under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 if you use copyright music in public, you need to have permission from every writer or composer. Without a license you could ... »

SMEs uncertain about music licence obligations

Small businesses are uncertain about their legal obligations when playing music for commercial purposes and need clearer guidance to ensure they don’t break the law, according to the Forum of Private Business (FPB). Businesses which play music for commercial purposes risk prosecution for copyright infringement if they do not have the correct licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS). There are currently more than 40 price tariffs on the PRS website with licence costs, depending on factors such as the size of a business and use of music. According to the PRS, a licence is necessary for any location or premises, outside of home, where music is played. This includes clubs and concert halls, discos and dentists’ waiting rooms, and trains and takeaways. Businesses can even fa... »