Alan Sugar

SMEs Shun Sugar as Peter Jones Emerges as Ideal Business Partner

He may be the doyen of the boardroom, but Lord Alan Sugar leaves small business owners cold, according to research by business software and services provider Sage UK, which saw the former Enterprise Tsar emerge near the bottom of the pile when it comes to business partners SMEs would like to work with. Just 13% of small business owners chose Lord Sugar as the business partner they would most like to work with from a list of celebrity entrepreneurs. Celebrity Dragon Peter Jones was by far the most popular choice, taking 35% of the vote in Sage’s monthly Omnibus survey of UK SMEs. Lord Sugar was also less popular than Dragons’ Den personality Theo Paphitis, and even fellow Apprentice star Karren Brady, who received 15% and 18% of the vote respectively. It wasn’t all bad news for the electron... »

Lord Sugar is Voted Most Trusted for Business Advice

The Apprentice star doesn’t beat around the bush, and that’s the way small business owners like it, says T-Mobile research Never one to mince his words, Lord Alan Sugar is the UK’s most trusted “straight talker” in business, according to a T-Mobile survey of 2,000 small business owners. Those surveyed were asked to choose their top three most trusted business personalities for straight talking business advice from a list of Britain’s most well known business personalities. Lord Sugar was selected by 42% of respondents, while Sir Richard Branson came in second, with 33% of the vote followed by Peter Jones from Dragon’s Den. ‘Queen of Shops’ Mary Portas and property guru Sarah Beeny took fourth and fifth place. The research coincided with a competition run by T-Mobile to find the... »

Sugar Takes Charge of Small Business Credit Taskforce

Lord Alan Sugar has been appointed as head of a new task force advising the government on how to ensure small businesses are treated fairly when accessing bank finance. The government’s “Enterprise Champion” and star of the BBC programme The Apprentice will be joined on the task force by outgoing Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) chairman, John Wright, and former Lloyds TSB deputy chief executive, Mike Fairey. The panel’s main task will be to help determine the role of the Small Business Credit Adjudicator (SBCA), which was announced in the Budget. “Lord Sugar, Mike Fairey and John Wright understand the critical importance of new finance and credit flow to the growth of small, innovative companies.” said Business Secretary, Lord Mandelson. “Ther... »

“Moaning” Entrepreneurs Hit Back at Lord Sugar

“Moaning” Entrepreneurs Hit Back at Lord Sugar

Business groups have criticised Lord Sugar for dismissing struggling small-business owners as "moaners", and saying that they have no reason for complaining during the recession. Speaking at a conference for small and medium-sized businesses in Manchester, the Government’s enterprise champion and star of The Apprentice, Alan Sugar, said just 15% of those who had been refused credit during the downturn had real grounds for complaint. The remaining 85%, he said, needed an "insolvency practitioner", rather than more credit. Sugar was also dismissive of protests over bank lending to small businesses, claiming that many concerns over lending were down to younger business owners, who had only ever known the "Disney World" credit conditions of the past decade. ... »

Lessons in Apprenticeship

You don’t have to be Alan Sugar to pass on valuable business skills Webchat: Lessons in Apprenticeship Chat date: Wednesday 2nd July Chat time: 2.30pm Sometimes it can feel almost impossible to find staff that are talented, hard working and enthusiastic about what they do. In fact there is a pool of high calibre candidates that employers overlook. We are of course talking about apprentices. You don’t have to be Alan Sugar to have valuable business and trade acumen that you can pass on to others. In exchange you get access to people who really want to carve a career for themselves both in your industry and in your organisation. To explain the benefits of employing apprentices further we’re hosting a live webchat with Stephen Gardner, Director of Apprenticeships at the Lear... »