Record and report an accident, incident or near miss

What needs to be reported?

Certain problems have to be reported to the authorities under the Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR).

These problems include:

  • Death – where someone is killed as a result of an accident related to work. This includes work-related deaths as a result of physical violence.
  • Major injury – this includes fractures, amputations, loss of sight and loss of consciousness.
  • Dangerous occurrence – these are events that may not have caused injury, but clearly could have done so. Such as, sudden release of materials from a pressurised system or pipework, some kinds of fire and explosions, failure of a load-bearing part of a crane and collapse of part of a building or of scaffolding.
  • Over three-day injury – this is where an employee or a self-employed person working on your premises suffers an injury that results in them being away from work, or unable to do the full range of duties for more than three days.
  • Disease – this is where a doctor notifies you that your employee is suffering from a reportable work-related disease.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>