How do QR Codes Work?
You may have noticed a strange symbol like the following starting to appear in all sorts of places over the last few years:
These are QR Codes (QR stands for Quick Response) and they are a type of barcode that can be read by most modern smartphones.
Developed in Japan by a subsidiary of Toyota, they were originally used to track vehicles during the manufacturing process but with the increasing popularity of smartphones they are now being employed over a much wider range of applications.
Most smartphones can be used to read QR codes, including iPhones and Android devices. Your mobile might already have a reader installed but if not, they can be downloaded free of charge.
Codes can be displayed electronically in an email or on a website. They can also be printed in an advert, on a discount voucher, business card, or pretty much anything, and they work best when users need further information.
Scanning a code can do any of the following:
- Display text/numbers up to 4,296 characters
- Display contact information
- Create a calendar event
- Open a web page in the phone’s browser
- Display a Google Maps location
- Link to a Facebook page
- Link to a You Tube video
- Connect to a wireless network (Android phones only)
- Open a PayPal ‘buy now’ link
- Create an SMS or email message
Examples for QR code uses include:
- Linking to Google Maps from your business cards to provide directions
- Providing a link to property details on an estate agent’s board
- Opening a discount code voucher that the user can then redeem in-store simply by showing the downloaded details on their smartphone at the till
- Provide a means for people to buy online by scanning a QR code which appears in a product advert
With smartphone usage predicted to grow dramatically over the next few years, it is likely that these codes will be used a lot more frequently in the future.
If you would like your own QR code, then please get in touch and we will be pleased to discuss your requirements. Pricing starts at just £35 per code.
If you want more from your website, contact Web Results Direct today for an informal chat.
Special Offer for Visitors from is4profit! 10% off all our services in the first six months (terms apply)