Identified below are some of the main organisations who have an interest in copyright and may be useful if you are a creator, copyright owner or a user of copyright protected works.
You may want to involve others to help exploit, develop or market your copyright. We do not give direct advice on this, but help is available from a number of organisations. These contacts are provided for your convenience. Inclusion here does not imply any warranty by the Government for the reliability, quality or effectiveness of any products or services provided by these organisations, or any endorsement of the views, information or products. This list of useful contacts is not intended to be exhaustive but can help identify some organisations that may be able to offer more assistance.
Copyright Advisory Bodies
These organisations are advisory bodies for owners, creators or performers of copyright works or to Government.
- British Copyright Council www.britishcopyright.org
- FACT – Federation Against Copyright Theft www.fact-uk.org.uk
Business Advice Groups
These groups provide assistance and advice to businesses across the UK.
- British Chamber of Commerce www.britishchambers.org.uk
- Business Link www.businesslink.gov.uk
- Flexible Support for Business www.business-support-wales.gov.uk
- Scottish Enterprise www.scottish-enterprise.com
- Invest Northern Ireland www.investni.com
- HM Revenue & Customs www.hmrc.gov.uk
If you are an author or an owner of work who wishes to manage the use of your work or an organisation or an individual who wishes to get a licence to use works you can contact the agencies below.
- PRS for Music – Performing Rights Society www.prsformusic.com
- PPL – Phonographic Performance Limited www.ppluk.com
- DACS – Design and Artists Collecting Society www.dacs.org.uk
- ACS – Artist’s Collecting Society www.artistscollectingsociety.org.uk
- ALCS – Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society www.alcs.co.uk
- CLA – Copyright Licensing Agency www.cla.co.uk
- Directors UK (D-UK) www.directors.uk.com
- ERA – Educational Recording Agency www.era.org.uk
- MPLC – Motion Picture Licensing Corporation www.mplc.com
- NLA – Newspaper Licensing Agency www.nla.co.uk
- PLS – Publishers Licensing Society www.pls.org.uk
- CCLI – Christian Copyright Licensing International www.ccli.co.uk
General Copyright Contacts
IPO – Intellectual Property Office email@example.com
UKPATLIB – UK Patent Libraries www.ipo.gov.uk/whyuse/business/business-patlib.htm
Watch File – A database of copyright contacts for writers, artists and other prominent figures in creative fields www.tyler.hrc.utexas.edu
WIPO – World Intellectual Property Organisation www.wipo.org
UKIE – The Association for UK Interactive entertainment www.UKIE.info
Trading Standards Institute www.tsi.org.uk
This business advice article is subject to Crown Copyright © 2013