Government Calls for Views on Corporate Responsibility
Business Minister Jo Swinson calls for views on corporate responsibility…
At an event yesterday, Minister Jo Swinson announced that the government intends to build a framework for the UK’s corporate responsibility ambitions.
Businesses and other stakeholders are being asked to express their views on ethical, environmental and social aspects of the commercial world so that the government can put together a plan of action for a more sustainable economy with a "stronger, fairer society".
The consultation is open for three months and will form the basis for the government’s framework for action to be published at the end of the year.
The consultation document contains a number of key questions such as:
- How can the government encourage more UK businesses to adopt internationally-recognised guidelines?
- How can businesses adopt more responsible supply chain management?
- How can SMEs be more involved in best practice when this is traditionally the realm of big business?
- What barriers exist that prevent businesses being involved with social inititives?
- What can the government do to help consumers make ethical and social decisions when buying goods or services?
Speaking about the cxonsultation, Business Minister, Jo Swinson said:
We want to make the UK the best place in the world to conduct responsible business. Encouraging corporate responsibility will help to build a stronger economy and fairer society. We’re keen to hear views on how we can better promote responsible business to unlock the benefits of ethical, social and environmental business practices.
Having looked at current examples of corporate responsibiliity, some schemes already running include the Breakthrough programme from the Santander UK bank, a Fair Development Fund for farmers in the developing world, run by Sainsbury’s and Deloitte’s Parasport scheme helping the disabled become more involved in sport.
Individuals, businesses and stakeholders have until the 27th September to air their views on the consultation which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/corporate-responsibility-call-for-views