9 of the Best British Small Business Ideas
A mobile phone application providing student discounts, a portable heated seat cover and smart labels for food jars were among the nine small-business ideas to each win a £50,000 prize at this year’s Barclays Take One Small Step awards.
The awards were open to both established small businesses with plans to grow and would-be entrepreneurs trying to get their business ideas off the ground.
Each entrant submitted a video outlining their idea to the Take One Small Step website, from which a panel of judges selected 27 finalists. These finalists were then submitted to a public vote online where nine regional winners were picked, each of which received a £50,000 prize. In addition, the remaining 18 shortlisted businesses were each presented with £3,000 to support their business development.
The nine regional winners were:
- Goodeseats – manufacturer of a portable heated seat cover.
- Student Pocket Guide – a mobile phone application providing discounts, competitions, tips and advice for students.
- RMP Enterprise – a student recruitment business.
- ChocCards – foil-wrapped chocolate bars, designed with individual wrappers to mark a range of events.
- Salad Bowl – healthy lunches delivered to customers’ desks on demand.
- UWI Technology – smart labels for food jars that inform users how long a jar has been open and when the contents are no longer safe to consume.
- Lick Me I’m Delicious – an ice-cream parlour offering customers a variety of customised ice cream flavours.
- SnuggleBundl – a baby lifting and carrying blanket, which helps parents who have trouble bending or stooping to move their babies.
- The Roman Fort Project – the tour organiser hopes to fund a 2.5-acre Roman fort in Cheshire to educate children across the UK.
Goodeseats co-founder Lesley Goode said:
“Winning this prize money will enable us to expand the business more quickly than we would otherwise have been able to do,”
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who voted for us and to the staff at our local Barclays branches for their ongoing support.”
Commenting on this year’s winners, Barclays UK Retail Banking managing director of business and personal banking solutions Steve Cooper, said:
“This is a life changing moment for these deserving businesses. The standard of entries has again exceeded our expectations and this year’s winners have clearly demonstrated a real flair and passion that has set them apart from the rest.”
The Take One Small Step website is no longer online.